Bob from R/CAR Fabrications - nicest guy in the world

Without the engine all you have is an expensive piece of furniture.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

plym49
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Bob from R/CAR Fabrications - nicest guy in the world

Post by plym49 » Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 8:24

I've been looking for an overdrive transmission for my 49 Plymouth for some time. I finally found one on eBay, and was lucky enough to get it at a very good price.

The seller was Bob from R/CAR Fabrications of Rocky Hill, CT. I drove up there yesterday to pick up the unit.

Bob is a hot rod builder and manufactures replacement sheet metal for early cars, including MoPars. He's got a really nice shop. We spent some time looking around. Bob has some very interesting projects under way. He showed us the fixtures and presses he uses to form the sheet metal parts, and he even rolled my first name into a piece of sheet metal (that's getting mounted onto my tool box).

He shows me the tranny I won; it was still attached to the motor. So, he offered me the entire motor and tranny! And, there was ANOTHER motor and tranny sitting on the floor next to it. "You are welcome to that one, too, if you want it." SCORE!!!!

Here are a couple of photos of the engines. One is a 51 Plymouth car; this is the one with the OD. The other is out of a 51 Dodge truck. Notice the special bellhousing with master cylinder attached. The truck motor also has a reversed sump pan and a heavy-duty 3 speed.

So now I have 2 extra 218 engines (hmmm, could the truck motor be a 230?). Not shown in the pictures is the box of parts that also was included. Both are nice original motors that have never been left out in the rain. Maybe I can build one of them, so that I have a 'race' motor for my car.

Needless to say, Bob went far above and beyond. He is a truly talented fabricator (he showed us some of the projects he has under way) and a true gentleman. Folks like this are the bedrock of our hobby.

R/CAR is at (860) 513-1118 in Rocky Hill, Connecticut, off interstate 91 just south of Hartford.
Attachments
IMG00068.jpg
IMG00068.jpg (597.28 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
IMG00069.jpg
IMG00069.jpg (563.13 KiB) Viewed 6057 times

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 6:50

Great find there. I've dealt with Bob at R-Car as well .... but only over the phone. He helped me out a lot too.

Nice way to haul the engines. I'd like to see a few more photos of how you actually hooked them up to the trailer (motorcycle trailer yes?).

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 7:18

I watched that auction! You made out huge on that haul!

R/Car Fabrications panels for Plymouth's.

http://www.rcarfabrications.com/
Last edited by Specialdeluxe on Tue Nov 4th, 2008 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:47

Johnny_S wrote:Great find there. I've dealt with Bob at R-Car as well .... but only over the phone. He helped me out a lot too.

Nice way to haul the engines. I'd like to see a few more photos of how you actually hooked them up to the trailer (motorcycle trailer yes?).
I'll take a few more and will post them.

Yes, that is my motorcyle trailer. It has a nice feature in that the bed drops down to lay flat on the ground. No ramps needed. You can load bikes by yourself, even keep them on the sidestand while you strap them down, so it is a one-person operation all the way.

I used a bunch of web straps. Half had ratchets and the others use that slip friction clamp.

I put wood under the pan sump so that the pan was not resting on the edges of the wheel channels. Each engine has several major straps. I use a friction at one end for fore-and-aft, and the other end gets a ratchet to 'stretch' so that the load can't shift front to rear under acceleration or braking.

The motor with the OD tranny needed a 4x4 under the tranny. The motor with the truck tranny had a shape that sat nicely on the trailer. I also wrapped the 4x4 with a strap at the distal end so that the 4x4 could not shift. At the tranny, the same strap that tied the tranny to the trailer also kept that end of the 4x4 from moving.

Each engine also has side-to-side with diagonal straps. These are all ratchets. These keep the motors from tipping over.

Then, around the tranny and the channels I strap a friction strap. This keeps the motors from twisting.

So, roll, pitch and yaw. All three possibilities covered. Then, I use some extra straps to double up, adding new angles for extra insurance.

When routing the straps, do not grab anything that could break, do not cross the straps so that the webbing rubs, and keep the webs flat (no twists). The webs cannot grab anything with a sharp edge. Just use common sense. The straps do get greasy; that's just the nature of things.

Even with all this, once or twice I stopped to tighten things up, and you can get several more notches out of the ratchets as the load finds its place and the straps stretch.

It was 310 miles round trip, and the motors did not shift, and there were some very bad roads with ruts and potholes and just plain nasty sections.

I actually still have the load on the trailer - have not had time to unload - so I will take some better pix.

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:49

Specialdeluxe wrote:I watched that auction! You made out huge on that haul!

LOL. For some reason when I first saw that auction, I knew that I was going to win it. Even a blind hog gets a few acorns.

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:51

Oh yes, last thing on the straps. All the loose ends are neatly stowed. Usually I wrap them on themselves and then use a velcro strap to tie them to the frame of the trailer. You do not want the loose ends flapping in the breeze. Even though the stowed loose ends look taut in the pictures, they are not holding anything other than their own selfs.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 9:55

plym49 wrote:
LOL. For some reason when I first saw that auction, I knew that I was going to win it. Even a blind hog gets a few acorns.

I watched it because I had just gotten mine and I was curious to see what it ended up going for. If I didn't already have one at the time... well... two blind hogs would have gone a little nutty???

I think sometimes you just have to smile and say it was meant to be. That's how I felt about my OD and my whole project so far. So many cool things have happened for it to be anything other than meant to be. Enjoy those engines and the overdrive, they were supposed to be yours.

Paul Schettner

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Tue Nov 4th, 2008 10:36

Specialdeluxe wrote:
plym49 wrote:

I watched it because I had just gotten mine and I was curious to see what it ended up going for. If I didn't already have one at the time... well... two blind hogs would have gone a little nutty???

I think sometimes you just have to smile and say it was meant to be. That's how I felt about my OD and my whole project so far. So many cool things have happened for it to be anything other than meant to be. Enjoy those engines and the overdrive, they were supposed to be yours.
That's very gracious of you. I do agree. I have watched a lot of other ODs go by; it was just not 'right'. This one was. The next one will be someone else's.

I am very happy to have the extra engines. I can now, for example, some day build an all-out flathead and still have a stock fallback.

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sat Nov 8th, 2008 2:39

Johnny_S wrote:Great find there. I've dealt with Bob at R-Car as well .... but only over the phone. He helped me out a lot too.

Here are some more shots that show the straps from various angles. THe idea is to get them all at angles, controlling roll, pitch and yaw, and to use a ratchet strap pulling against a non-ratchet strap (since you can crank a ratchet strap a lot tighter).
Attachments
DSC02404.JPG
DSC02404.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 6001 times
DSC02405.JPG
DSC02405.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 6001 times
DSC02406.JPG
DSC02406.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 6004 times
DSC02407.JPG
DSC02407.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 6005 times

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sat Nov 8th, 2008 2:46

A few more strap pix.
Attachments
DSC02408.JPG
DSC02408.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5994 times
DSC02409.JPG
DSC02409.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5996 times
DSC02411.JPG
DSC02411.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5995 times
Last edited by plym49 on Sat Nov 8th, 2008 2:56, edited 1 time in total.

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Front sump 218

Post by plym49 » Sat Nov 8th, 2008 2:56

Notice the front sump on this 51 Dodge pickup motor. This should be of interest to the engine swappers out there.

Also note the different bellhousing that has the master cylinder on the bellhousing.

There is also a foot switch to engage the starter, and the crossover shaft for the throttle linkage runs behind the engine, attaching to the top two bellhousing bolts. This bracket might be useful when installing dual carbs.
Attachments
DSC02413.JPG
DSC02413.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5990 times
DSC02414.JPG
DSC02414.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
DSC02412.JPG
DSC02412.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 5995 times

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Nov 8th, 2008 8:13

Very interesting .... and lots of straps for sure. Lot's of straps!

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sat Nov 8th, 2008 9:12

Johnny_S wrote:Very interesting .... and lots of straps for sure. Lot's of straps!
Yep. The straps stretch and flex as the load tries to bounce around. So I spread the wealth. I hate it when a load drops off.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sun Nov 9th, 2008 9:00

plym49 wrote:
Johnny_S wrote:Very interesting .... and lots of straps for sure. Lot's of straps!
Yep. The straps stretch and flex as the load tries to bounce around. So I spread the wealth. I hate it when a load drops off.

That would have been great to see going down the road. I can imagine freaking out others on the road. Any tailgaters?

When we moved my motor we did the old tire trick. My brother came over with a trailer. We put the frame on the trailer along with all of my boxes of parts. The motor was near the back of the trailer and strapped down. I followed the move in my truck. We got a little ways from the house when one of the straps came loose and the motor leaned over. We pulled over and fixed the situation. A little scary there for a moment.

Paul Schettner

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sun Nov 9th, 2008 6:54

That's a great idea (sitting the motor in a tire). I'll remember that one.

Yes, there were all too many tailgaters, including some kids in a tuner car that were going bonkers photographing these old motors with their cell phones. Guess they don't often see old iron. I actually hated the fact that I had so many straps (and all different colors) as it made it look like I was towing a circus wagon. But I figured that I would be less embarassed by that than by trying to pick up a flathead motor by the side of the road if one fell off.