Interior Dome Light Replacement

What to do with all those wires.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

btrempel
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by btrempel » Fri Aug 15th, 2008 6:27

Has anyone changed their interior dome light bulb? Is the lens spring attached? I'm a little worried about tugging too hard and tearing the new upholstery.

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Aug 15th, 2008 7:35

If I understand the question correctly you should be able to remove the two screws and pop the lens (with the trim piece still attached) off and just replace the bulb. In factory installations the headliner is just tucked behind the housing the holds the bulb. It might have been while since it was last off and be a little stuck. However, mine pretty much just fell off after I removed the mounting screws.

btrempel
Hey! I'm new here.

Interior Dome Light

Post by btrempel » Sun Aug 17th, 2008 9:09

Thanks Johnny.

Odd think is I don't remember seeing any mounting screws. I'll have to take a closer look.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sun Aug 17th, 2008 9:15

Johnny_S wrote:If I understand the question correctly you should be able to remove the two screws and pop the lens (with the trim piece still attached) off and just replace the bulb. In factory installations the headliner is just tucked behind the housing the holds the bulb. It might have been while since it was last off and be a little stuck. However, mine pretty much just fell off after I removed the mounting screws.
The glass and trim should just pull straight out of the bezel as one piece. The bezel has 2 screws holding it in place, the headliner is held in place behind the bezel. Interestingly, bulb replacement is not included in the original owners manual.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Aug 17th, 2008 9:25

Paul's got it. The screws are underneath the glass bezel and trim holding the housing in. I remembered that there were two screws .... they were just a little "deeper" than I remembered. Thanks Paul.

btrempel
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by btrempel » Tue Aug 19th, 2008 4:26

Thanks guys. I just had to pull a little harder for the lens/trim to come off (always a little scared to pull too hard on these old parts :-)