Great site

Have a comment about the message board or want to suggest a new topic category?

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

gator_farmer
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Great site

Post by gator_farmer » Wed Jan 1st, 2003 11:16

WOW!!! I finnally found some one with some good info. on 49 Plymouth's. I've been looking for over a year. Just a little history, I inherited a 1949 P17 Business coupe back in 1974. And as all kids do I kinda made a mess of my car. But now after 28 years I've decided to try to restore my little gem in the ROUGH. I figure I practiced enough on two old John Deere tractors that I have restored recently. That now it is time to start on my little gem. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back for help in the future

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: Great site

Post by Specialdeluxe » Fri Jan 3rd, 2003 8:51

Thank you for the complements! When I first bought my '49 I thought I had made a mistake since I couldn't seem to find and information or parts for the car. I'm pretty good at research and finding things so I started to compile information and sources. I learned how to make web sites in college (and now that's my profession) so the first 49 Plymouth web site was born.

I'm a bit nervous since I have the car completely taken apart and off the frame at the moment, but my wife and I have started putting things back together from the ground up starting with the frame and suspension. Still looking for someone to rebuild the engine....

Hey! Be sure to send in some photos for the Visitor Photo Gallery!

Paul Schettner
49plymouth.com - webmaster

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

SteveO_1950
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by SteveO_1950 » Thu Sep 2nd, 2004 1:01

I hope you guys (and gals) don't discriminate! I just inherited a P-20 Clube Coupe and looking for all the info I can find. Can't believe how much is on the internet. Back when I owned a P-20 2 dr Sedan in the 60's we used to get all of our parts at Axom's Junk Yard, which now is the location of the last Drive-In Theatre in the Denver area, and this may be the last year for it. Great site, thanks for being there!
Morning Glory - Evening Grace!

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by frederick » Wed Dec 15th, 2004 10:32

Am I missing something? I have found this great site that appears to be alive and well, but the most recent post I have found was over three months ago!! I have never been a member or contributed to a site before. Hope I'm not misunderstanding something. Or have I entered the twilight zone!?!?! I'd love it if someone would acknowledge my existence on this site. I have 48,49 and 50 Plymouths.

Very Truly,
Frederick

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Post by p18plywood » Thu Dec 16th, 2004 2:11

I too am puzzeled by the limited input. The number of members keeps growing but no new posts. People out there must have questions or info they can share. I still keep checking for new posts just about every time I'm online
Gerry

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Fri Dec 17th, 2004 11:28

Greetings there Plywood. I'm sure that a forum such as this is alot more interesting and fun when the members contribute. This is my first time for any forum and I'm just happy to be here. I bought a 50 4-dr and 49 4-dr (parts car) with the purpose of having an old rig to drive around now and then for a change of pace. Just the smell of that old upholstery brings me back to my youth. I'll be undertaking the brakes-rear wheel seal-exhaust heat riser - ritual to start. The initial adjustment of the brakes is something that I am already not looking forward to. Hopefully there are some other members that can add their insight to these tasks as I undertake them. I look forward to any input anyone might want to offer. Incidentally...not that I'm paranoid or anything, but - I wonder why my first and only other post has that remove icon on it?? I don't see anyone else who has this! I feel special - I think.

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Sat Dec 18th, 2004 6:42

Hi Fredrick:

My woodie project is a complete long term basket case. I haven't even gotten to the brakes. I'm still on sheet metal fabing and wood replacment. There is another guy on this site who is building a 50 four door retro rod. He is incorporating a lot of terrific upgrades and has a great web site of his own. If you look on this site under Engine, he has some postings and gives the address for his Blue Skies Racing site. He specifically has some info on rebuilng front brakes and the special tool used to adjust them. I can also be reached at gvinci2@cs.com if you have any questions.

Gerry

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Mon Dec 20th, 2004 9:05

Greetings again Plywood;
Sounds like you have a substantial project at hand there with your woodie. And if you are like me, you are probably working on several more at the same time. I hope to be driving this one within a couple months. What shape is your drive train in? How about your wood grain faux finishes - if the woodie has that type of finish? I found something interesting the other day when I was taking the front seat out. The radio is attached via a cable to a rather large metal box located on the firewall above the steering column. What is that all about? I don't remember seeing this separate unit attached to a tube radio before. My parts car (49) doesn't have one. Thanks for the E-mail address. Mine is edhubbard_escrow@hotmail.com.

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Tue Dec 21st, 2004 7:50

Hi Fresrick:

As far as the drivetrain I haven't gotten to far into it yet. I imagine the 411 rear end will need to be rebuilt along with the driveshaft. I have an OD trans to go with that 411 which should make it decent on the highway while not straining the  clutch in city driving. I also have a 390 rear end if I ever want to experiment with that. The engine will be kept stock for the time being.
Everything from the dash forward is the same on all the 49 models so I have the same beatiful grained dash. I went through a few of them before I found one in pretty good shape. I then went over the tiny chips with some latex wood stain. I wet sanded with 600 paper to clean it up and then finished with 3M clear enamel spray. It looks mint.
As for the radio, I've never seen anything like what you decribe. It must be some kind of aftermarket item.
I was making some good progress on the welding until the weather got cold. Now I will shift gears and start working on the wooden parts. Plenty of work to be done there as well.

Take care,
Gerry

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Tue Dec 21st, 2004 10:58

Hello Plywood,

I'm betting that you won't really be using much plywood on your woodie. Can't imagine what would be worse, fabricating sheet metal or wood. I limit my work to the wrench twisting on anything important (its good to know ones limitations) but since this 50 is just to have as a fun driver, I will be doing whatever is necessary. Fortunately the interior and body are pretty good (for a driver). I am going to take a closer look at that box that the radio is hooked into. I'm getting really interested now. It looked factory installed when I galnced at it, but that was all I did. I don't have an overdrive unit in either the 50 or the 49 - or the 48 I have. But just driving around the county occasionally, I probably won't miss it. The parts car 49 has some really tall bias ply tires on it that look like brand new. I'll probably give them a try. Hopefully it won't affect how the car launches too adversely. I don't expect to do much street racing with that big 218 anyway.....unless of course there is some wise guy with say a 49 Chevy. I'd have a couple cubic inches on him wouldn't I!! Merry Christmas.

Frederick

Excoachbauer
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by Excoachbauer » Wed Dec 22nd, 2004 2:27

Fredrick,

Is your 50 a former police car? I wonder if that could explain the "extra" box on the firewall.

Happy to be here, Dan
My Fleet: 49 Ply 2Dr Spec Del, 64 Crew Cab W200, 65 Dodge 880 Custom, 70 D200, 71 Ply Duster, 82 New Yorker, 85 D100, 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wife's),non-mopar:70 Triumph Bonneville; 03 Speedmaster

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Wed Dec 22nd, 2004 11:00

Hey Dan,

Thanks for responding. I am quite certain that this is not an ex police car by virtue of the fact that the interior is standard for the deluxe and in reasonably good condition, no spot light hole or other attachments to the dashboard or on the roof etc. Could have been the Chief's car, or fire Chief maybe. That's a thought. I will eventually get under there and take the cover off, or just take it out of there and see what is what. I just got back from the emergency room from a little mishap in which I apparently tore the inner muscles on my calf! What a ridiculous situation (not to mention painful). I can't put any weight on the foot for some time to come, and this will probably have an effect on my working on the Plymouth or any other project for awhile. Sounds like you are a Chrysler man to me Dan. What is your 49 like and in what condition? Merry Christmas.

Frederick

Excoachbauer
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by Excoachbauer » Thu Dec 23rd, 2004 9:10

Wow Frederick, torn calf is a bummer. That will definately slow you down for awhile. The 49 is in pretty decent shape all in all. It has some slight rust on the bottom of the doors. The engine is in need of a total rebuild. It has a 3spd w/ overdrive and an underdash A/C unit. It will need quite a bit of work to make road worthy again but it is a worthy project. I hope to post some pictures as soon as I figure out my digital camera.

Dan
My Fleet: 49 Ply 2Dr Spec Del, 64 Crew Cab W200, 65 Dodge 880 Custom, 70 D200, 71 Ply Duster, 82 New Yorker, 85 D100, 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wife's),non-mopar:70 Triumph Bonneville; 03 Speedmaster

frederick
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by frederick » Sat Dec 25th, 2004 4:56

Hello Excoach
Sounds like your project is like so many, some good news and some bad. Of course the cars you and Plywood are restoring are more valuable than my old 4 door, but that will mean that your restoration will have to be that much more complete and correct. I just want to drive mine. Its all about how much enjoyment you can get from what your doing. Speaking of trying to get around on crutches - have you ever tried it? I 've been trying it, and I guess I'll be trying it for some time to come! It not only takes away the ability to do alot of things, or the ability to do anything fast - but it also takes away the desire to do it, when you know how long and difficult even the simplest job can be. I think I now understand why older folks seem to lose interest in projects. It isn't that they really lose interest, but in the face of what they have to endure to get anything done it becomes a whole new ballgame. What a Drag. Anyway, Merry Christmas.

Frederick

Excoachbauer
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by Excoachbauer » Sun Jan 2nd, 2005 7:08

Hi Frederick,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am not quite so concerned about making it a full blown restoration. I have had a bad experience before. I got it all torn down and wound up never finishing it (64 Valiant). I was kind of young at the time but I will try to learn from my mistakes. This time around I will do the basics to make it driveable and go from there, one major project at a time. Engine first, then brakes, then suspension, etc. "It's gotta go before it can show". That way the excitement won't wear off. I think I will do a "restification", dual singles intake, 230 crank, big cam, ported block, split exhaust, it already has overdrive but it will be stock appearing from the outside. Just period correct stuff.
As for the crutches, I had them once 20 years ago when I hyper-extended my knee and tore some ligaments in football, cost me a varsity position my junior year. Still hurts when the weather gets cold, and it doesn't get very cold around here. Good thing I'm in Az. Now my daughter is getting the same crutch experience as she dumped her bicycle in the front yard Friday afternoon and broke her fibula. Life happens.

Dan