One piece hood?

Body and Sheetmetal Restoration Discussion.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Jstanley55
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

One piece hood?

Post by Jstanley55 » Sat Nov 29th, 2008 10:32

Does anyone know if there is a one piece hood out there (off another mopar product) that will work on my 49 plymouth? If not it'll be time to break out the welder but not going to be a fun job. I'd like to removed the front fender trim as well but that looks like a bigger job than the hood. Thanks!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: One piece hood?

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Nov 29th, 2008 11:01

Hopefully you enjoy welding because you'll be doing a lot of it. The only hood that will fit is another one off of a '49 Plymouth.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Re: One piece hood?

Post by p18plywood » Mon Dec 1st, 2008 5:41

If you weld up the seam in the hood with a mig in short passes, it shouldn't distort. As for filling, lead is probably the best choice. As for the front fenders, you could make a cardboard pattern of the area that you want to fill in with sheet metal. It should be slightly smaller than the actual finished area. You would tack weld the filler piece in place and then lead fill as usual. I would practice on a junk fender first. Maybe you can pick up one at salvage yard. The rear fenders are easy to fill in the holes. Just back up the holes with a piece of copper sheet metal, then weld up the hole. The weld won't stick to the copper. I did this when I had to convert 1950 fender into a 1949( different hole placement)
Gerry

I hope the hot welding color comes out in this post.