question about Vin #s versus Engine numbers

Need help finding out what model or year Plymouth you have? Need to ID a part?
P18Pete
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

question about Vin #s versus Engine numbers

Post by P18Pete » Wed May 20th, 2009 6:32

This is an open question to any and all: What number is used on your title and what state do you live in?

I'm in Florida and I'm working on getting a title for my 49 P-18 and I'm not sure what number the DMV will need. I have a copy of the registration from the last owner and it uses the Engine number. I got a bill of sale from the previous owner and we used the Vin. Should we have used the Engine number?

What was your experience?

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: question about Vin #s versus Engine numbers

Post by Johnny_S » Thu May 21st, 2009 2:08

Mine uses the Vehicle Number on the plate found inside the drivers side door ... front post. One of the characters appears to be an "I" (eye) but it is in reality a "1" (one). Some vehicles did use the engine number but engines change and therefore so do the numbers. I suggest using the vehicle number (NOT the body number nor the engine number).

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu May 21st, 2009 2:12

Also, when I purchased a car from New Mexico and had it shipped here to Colorado I had to have it inspected by a local police officer who filled out a Dept. of Motor Vehicles inspection form BEFORE I could transfer the title and get the car registered in Colorado. Fortunately he was an acquaintance of mine and he didn't panic over the confusion created by "I" and "1" differences or over "Vehicle Numbers" - "Body Numbers" - "Engine Numbers" .............. so, it's now correctly registered in Colorado under the Vehicle Number. But I can see where an inspection and any confusion over numbers can and probably will cause issues somewhere in the food chain.

P18Pete
Tire Kicker

Post by P18Pete » Thu May 21st, 2009 10:03

The previous owner's registration shows the engine number and I think that is what the DMV here will go with. When I figure it out I'll let you know. Take care.

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Wed May 27th, 2009 4:21

I live in Ohio, but I purchased my '49 from Wisconsin. The Wisconsin title had the engine number.
It was inspected by a dealer for verification and the DMV issued new title and plates, etc.

I would rather have the vehicle number on the title, but, thats how it goes.

P18Pete
Tire Kicker

Post by P18Pete » Fri May 29th, 2009 11:17

Well they did use the Engine number for this thing. Makes no sense to me but ok. Score 1 for Engine number in Florida. Game on.

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat May 30th, 2009 6:59

I'd suggest taking a photo or impression or something of that engine number prior to ever replacing that engine with another block ... which may or may not have a number of its own by the way. Alternatively you will want to keep this all in mind if you ever replace the engine. You may (I would say "WOULD") want to contact DMV before you even get started with the swap. You may want to have the car inspected again by some authority to confirm that you are simply swapping engine blocks and aren't "altering" the number used as the "V.I.N" on the title. I know that it sounds excessive but the small amount of consternation I got from my police officer acquaintance on my title transfer suggests that someone less sympathetic might look at the changed number (replaced engine) and declare the vehicle as having an altered VIN ... and that's not a good thing when you are trying to register or transfer a car that you lawfully own or wish to own. Just my 2 cents ...

P18Pete
Tire Kicker

Post by P18Pete » Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 7:56

I have no intention on swapping the engine so this won't be a problem for me. I'm just planning on getting it roadworthy and driving the son of a gun. Detroit steel gonna roll again. Take care and thanks for the info.