1949 Plymouth Convertible

Post here for the Cars you are looking for!

Moderator: Specialdeluxe

adam_knox
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

1949 Plymouth Convertible

Post by adam_knox » Fri Sep 1st, 2006 7:44

ALoha! After years of waiting I'm finally ready to get my dream car! A 1949 Plymouth Convertible, preferably in #2 or #3 condition. I live in Wisconsin, although location doesn't matter, as long as it isn't from Alaska, Nigeria, or South America! :lol: If anyone sees one, please let me know. And if your so inclined and you someone who has one, mention me...Maybe they'd like to have the extra space in their garage again! :D Thanks!

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

1949 Convertible

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Nov 17th, 2006 6:54

Adam...did you contact Fred? I believe he still has his Convert listed in the For Sale section. He was asking 10K

Johnny_S

49 Convertible - Guess its gone

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Nov 17th, 2006 6:57

Adam....looks like the listing is gone.

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Convertable for sale

Post by p18plywood » Sat Dec 9th, 2006 10:24

Hi Adam:
I emailed you a couple of days ago about a convertable on ebay. It started at three grand and at the time had no bids. It is complete and drivable, but needs floorwork. A lot of other work has already been done. Looks like a good project.
Gerry
49 wooody wagon

adam_knox
Tire Kicker

Post by adam_knox » Wed Dec 13th, 2006 2:57

hey guys, thanks for the leads! i chatted with Fred, apparrently he had no takers at 10k, so he invested some good ol' elbow grease into the Conv and is currently enjoying it (good for him, glad to see it didn't get rodded out). I told him to keep me in mind when he wants to move onto a different vehicle.
:wink:
Thanks for the ebay link, I had been searching for convertible with an "i" rather than convertable with an "a", so I had been finding it. I wanted to jump jump at it, but unfortunatly I'm also on the hunt for my first house, and my budget couldn't afford to put that much cash into the car...I also work 7 days a week, for a total of 68 hours a week, so i don't have time for extensive projects like floor boards :cry:
So i'm still on the hunt, I just need to find one that the bank will approve a loan for, and that the car is drivable as is, and doesn't need any major work in the near future...although i can do tops and things, just not serious body work or installing engines and transmissions.
Thanks again for the help, you guys rock! I'm still scouring around, and the new Hemmings ocmes out today! I check the stuff right away, but I'm a lil' pokey and responding back. So please keep keeping me in mind when you find those rare gems!

p.s. Did i tell you about the dream 49 conv I found? Yep, e-mailed the guy, got right back to me...Unfortunatly the ad was from summer, and a hurricane had DESTROYED it, along with another one he had in the garagd!
:!: :shock:

happy holidays!

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Dec 13th, 2006 5:58

Adam, good luck. Will be keeping my eyes open. I'd love to have one too but I'd have to get rid of something or sell a kid or two before it happens. :lol:

There are some out there but my guess is that the days of the 5000 really nice 49 convertible are el gone-o. Fred's looks very much to be worth the 10K....at least from the distance I was able to see it via photos. The one on eBay looked doable but needed a LOT of work. So, save some $$$ .... keep the flame alive and the eyes open. I bet another 49 or maybe even a 50 comes along at the right time.

adam_knox
Tire Kicker

Post by adam_knox » Thu Jan 18th, 2007 10:53

Well, the hunt is still on gang! The house fell through, woulda turned out like Tom Hanks in the Money Pit! So I'm thrilled because I can get the Convertible without a second thought (assuming I can find one!). I think Old Ride, or Old Cars weekly had an ad for one because online they had something listed. I went back to get the number that night and when I went back, it was gone since they do the current week only. :cry: So if anyone has some older classified mags could ya' quick look for any 49 convertibles for me? :wink:
Also, if anyone is interested, there's a Dodge Wayfarer for sale on ebay at the moment. Looks pretty schnazzy. I still like the Plymouth's interior styling, but PT Keller really had a good eye for cars that year... =) Hope everyone is getting excited for spring! Thanks, boo up!~Adam

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Jan 18th, 2007 11:49

Adam, I have so much snow on the ground I an only dream about spring at the moment....and I'm doing just that. I did see the Dodge on eBay and agree with you that I like the Plymouth better. I do think the roadster design is pretty nifty however. I will keep my eyes open. Nothing has jumped out at me recently. I have been interacting with a fellow Plymouth lover in the Denver metro area who has been rebuilding a 49 Convertible and is getting close to completion. I think he has posted some photos on Bill Ward's owner registry. Otherwise for me it has been .... get the carburetor rebuilt, find a new fuel pump, what about those control arm bushings, who makes a decent but inexpensive interior cloth that looks somewhat like the original material.....no driving at all. I have between 1 and 2 feet of snow between my house and my garage. First time in over 20 years at this location that I've had snow this long except for maybe 1982 or 1983.

adam_knox
Tire Kicker

Found one!

Post by adam_knox » Wed Apr 25th, 2007 10:50

Thanks everyone for tips and leads (esp. Johnny and Gerry)! The search is over, I'm now the proud owner of a 1949 Chrysler Convertible! (I know, I know, its not a Plymouth!) I'll post more info once it arrives! :D

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Apr 26th, 2007 5:08

Adam, congrats......its close and still a Mopar for sure. I'm jealous already!!! I hope you stay in the "group" anyway. Other than the name badge, a lot of chrome and a little curb weight its still pretty much the same car as far as we are all concerned. Enjoy..........

Pictures are a requirement however!! John

Jimmy Pink
Hey! I'm new here.

Re: 1949 Plymouth Convertible

Post by Jimmy Pink » Fri Aug 19th, 2011 10:08

Try find some second car in ebAy. Maybe you could find your convertible Plymouth car and even Plymouth car parts if you want some modifications on it. Also search some forums in the net also. Goodluck dude! :D