Gas and lubrication

Fuel & Fluids - What to feed the beast.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

adam_knox
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Gas and lubrication

Post by adam_knox » Fri May 21st, 2004 6:13

I need to fill my tank for the first time. Do I use regular unleaded and add the lead substitute or do I use premium unleaded and add the lead substitute? Also, I'm going to attempt to grease all the moving joints with a grease gun(which prolly hasn't been done in thirty years...) There's old gunked up grease everywhere, so hopefully I can find 'em all! Is there a modern grease I should get or should I specifically get all the types of grease listed in the manual? I'm struggling with this car, I don't know how to do most of the basic stuff, and the manual assumes ya' know how to do everything! Sigh...Do the have A 49 Plymouth Guide for Dummies? :D

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Gas and lubrication

Post by Johnny_S » Sat May 22nd, 2004 8:39

Adam,

You can use regular unleaded.   The valve seats on these L-head engines are already hardened.  No lead substitute needed.   I wouldn't use anything special for your grease gun....just use a typical moly-based automotive grease.   As far as basic stuff is concerned....get a service manual.   Usually lots on eBay.   A reproduction manual runs about $20.   Some of the old ones run $15-50 depending on condition and day.  Get an owners manual as well.   Some on eBay for about $10 that are reproductions.  Ask a lot of questions on this forum and on the P15-D24 forum as well (just use Google and search for P15-D24 and you will find it).
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

adam_knox
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: Gas and lubrication

Post by adam_knox » Sun May 23rd, 2004 7:32

Thanks Johnny, I got the car jacked up in my garage today, gonna try draining out the old fuel and putting in some new. I have the old service manual. THe problem is that it doens't explain the novice steps for people who've never worked on a car before...Sigh, why didn't my dad teach me these things instead of watching football all day... :P