"Aunt Margaret" goes for a run.

Tell us about past or present road trips in your Plymouth.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

"Aunt Margaret" goes for a run.

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 8:31

Friday was simply great here and "Aunt Margaret" was ready to roll. Got gas and had two "thumbs up" before I had her filled. Then, ran back home and took the wife and daughter (home on spring break) on a 20 mile or so jaunt up into the foothills west of town, past HorseTooth Reservoir, into the town of Bellevue, Colorado and then back around into Fort Collins for a little backstreet cruisin'. It was a good day. No garage sales to hit yet .... or at least I didn't find any. But they will be going soon. "Aunt Margaret" loves garage sales.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: "Aunt Margaret" goes for a run.

Post by Specialdeluxe » Wed Mar 25th, 2009 11:44

Geez! Out driving already? It was snowing here this morning. We're still hovering around in the high 40's. I'm anxious to get back to work on the car.

Did a search for HorseTooth Reservoir. Beautiful! Must have been a nice drive.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Mar 25th, 2009 8:36

Yep ... weather was great but the weather folks are talking 10 - 24 inches of snow tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night.....and I actually have 2 tomato plants out in the garden in "Wall of Water's" .... covered with a heavy duty plastic bag. We shall see if they survive the cold blast. Maybe ... just maybe.

Yes, the HorseTooth Reservoir area is pretty neat and only a few miles from town. About 5 miles long and about 1/2 mile wide it's a water storage reservoir that does allow recreational boating, canoeing, windsurfing and fishing and water skiing. It's managed by the county and has all of the typical camping / picnic facilities and boat ramps. It is just on the east side of a great county park that has miles of hiking, biking, horseback riding trails. You can't drive all of the way around it but you can drive essentially around three "sides" of it .... the east side is the "long" side and then around both ends. Access to the west shoreline is by foot, horseback, bike or boat only pretty much.

So .... she's runnin' good, the tanks full and the battery is charged!

John

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by roughn3ck » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 7:16

i drive my car all year i didnt buy it to sit there and look at i just took the ole 49 to denten thaw nationals a few weeks ago just to see how she would do man was i happy althou my arm was tired from wayving at the passing cars it was so worth the trip and man was it cold but didnt care the heater in that thing works better than any car we own and i was suprised on the gas milage it got 15 gal there and 15 back not bad for a 300 mile trip

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 7:26

Sounds like a great run ...... I get about 15 most of the time too ... unless I'm climbing. But I make up for it on the way down. Then I worry that the brakes will keep working :shock:

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member

Post by roughn3ck » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 8:14

no doubt im only running front brakes right now in the prosses of rebuilding the back but i dont let that stop me from driving it

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 8:43

:shock:

Well .... my only advice there is to be very very careful. With only a single-master cylinder you are running on the margin as it is with all four operating well if you are in traffic or running up and down hills. We don't want that nice car dinged up!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Specialdeluxe » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 11:27

roughn3ck wrote:no doubt im only running front brakes right now in the prosses of rebuilding the back but i dont let that stop me from driving it

:EEK: That's the scary thing with these brakes. You have a leak somewhere it will affect all of the brakes. I had leaky rear axle seals that would grease my brake shoes up real nice. On real hot days only having the front brakes to stop the car was a little too much. Never knew if it was going to stop or not. Good thing there is so much head room in these cars, made it easy to stand in the car and put all my weight on the pedal.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member

Post by roughn3ck » Thu Mar 26th, 2009 1:43

well im in the middle of getting new wheel cilinders for the back and i need to make a new line about 6 inchs long and we will be in buisness been working on fixing up a new intake my old one had bolts broke off in it and in the middle of changing that out my manifold brook in half so replaced it with a 1950 manifold and had to put new pipe all the way back sounds good now no problems and back to working on brakes