problems with reverse

Putting you car into gear. VROOOOOOM!

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

kyleboulet
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

problems with reverse

Post by kyleboulet » Tue Aug 17th, 2010 6:26

Can any one tell me why im having a hard time getting my 49 into reverse? i tried to clean the linkage spray with pb blaster. sometimes it goes in fine sometimes it dont go in at all. sucks when you gotta pull your car in the garage and tow it out cause of no reverse

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: problems with reverse

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Aug 18th, 2010 8:59

Sounds like you have a bushing or two that are missing or really loose. When the linkage gets too loose that will happen.

kyleboulet
Tire Kicker

Post by kyleboulet » Thu Aug 19th, 2010 1:56

where are the bushing suppose to be? the only thing i saw was a rocker arm that comes off the colomn thats what was caked on with grease. is that where the bearing suppose to be?

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Thu Aug 19th, 2010 6:04

One thought I had....You may want to check the adjustment on the clutch rod and make sure it is engaging all the way. If it is not, it would be like pushing in the clutch pedal only part way. I have experienced similar issues engaging reverse, but it seems like the gears may not mesh exactly as needed. When it occurs, my solution is to release the clutch pedal and rev the engine slightly, de-press the pedal, and attempt to engage reverse as the RPM's are decreasing. It always seems to work. Hope this helps.

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Aug 20th, 2010 6:04

kyleboulet wrote:where are the bushing suppose to be? the only thing i saw was a rocker arm that comes off the colomn thats what was caked on with grease. is that where the bearing suppose to be?
I went back and did what I should have done in the first place .... reviewed the schematic. It's all adjustment and I don't see that there is actually a bushing (bronze or otherwise) or a rubber grommet where I was envisioning one. The service manual reads as follows:

Make all gearshift control adjustments with the transmission in the neutral position.

Gearshift Selector Rod - To adjust, loosen the lock nut on the selector rod at bottom of the steering column and tighten nut until all play of rod is taken up. Then, back off the adjusting nut 1/2 turn for clearance, and tighten the lock nut. (This is the one coming off the transmission and connecting to the column just to the left of the starter ... threaded rod with lock nut(s) on end.)

Gearshift Control Rod - The purpose of the gearshift control rod adjustment is to change the position of the gearshift lever at the upper end of the steering column. The normal position of the lever is horizontal when the transmission is in neutral. To change the gearshift lever position, loosen the lock bolt on the upper lever at the lower end of the steering column. Locate gearshift lever at the upper end of steering column in desired position. Tighten lock bolt. (I don't think this one is your issue)

kyleboulet
Tire Kicker

Post by kyleboulet » Fri Aug 20th, 2010 1:30

Thankyou everyone for your answers. Im gonna try this tomorrow on the car