need help w/shifter issues

Putting you car into gear. VROOOOOOM!

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

jamesq24
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Convertible_Club_Coupe

need help w/shifter issues

Post by jamesq24 » Sun Nov 17th, 2013 6:58

I have a shifter problem I can't solve. I had a good shifting car. I replaced the oil filter and couldn't get the trans into 2nd gear. I referred to my service manual and attempted to adjust the shifter linkage. At first, I adjusted the rod too much. I backed the nuts back to their original position (I could tell from the clean threads on the rod), and now I don't have 2nd or reverse! The linkage appears quite complicated, and the only adjustment I can see (and the manual recommends) is the linkage adjustment. What have I done wrong or missed? Thanks in advance for the help! James Q, Ruston, LA

jamesq24
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Convertible_Club_Coupe

Re: need help w/shifter issues

Post by jamesq24 » Sat Dec 28th, 2013 8:37

Follow-up to my question: 1. I had mounted the oil filter too low, the shift mechanism was hitting the filter. 2. After raising the filter, I readjusted the linkage. Instead of using the nut adjustment technique, I took the rod loose at the trans and threaded the rod in until the trans end fit correctly, and then locked down the adjusting nuts. 3. I replaced the shift rod bushing and now everything is great!

cabrio02
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by cabrio02 » Wed Oct 1st, 2014 7:22

I have kinda of the same issue with my '49 P18. Shifting from low to second the shifter does not want to go, I have to force it. Sometimes it'll go into second, and other time it will not! Does anyone know how to adjust the shifter ??
Thanks

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Root Beer Stand » Mon Oct 6th, 2014 12:18

cabrio02 wrote:I have kinda of the same issue with my '49 P18. Shifting from low to second the shifter does not want to go, I have to force it. Sometimes it'll go into second, and other time it will not! Does anyone know how to adjust the shifter ??
Thanks
There are shop manuals available for about $30 on disc on Ebay. Mine is worth a lot more than that for the trouble it saved including the linkage adjustments.
It helps to have a person in the seat working the shifter also while adjusting
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!