P/S Pump Pressure - Important?

Turn here for everything Steering related.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

DocSpratley
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

P/S Pump Pressure - Important?

Post by DocSpratley » Tue Mar 29th, 2011 3:18

I have installed a Cavalier rack in my 49 plymouth and am trying to set up a pump for it. I have been told that I need to watch the pump pressures. I understand that Ford pumps put out approx 100psi and GM about 60psi. I cannot find any info to substantiate either of these numbers. What does a mopar pump put out? Can I use the stock mopar pump with the Cavalier rack? BTW the 360 motor and pump I have is out of a '78 Sport Fury. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Doc Spratley

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: P/S Pump Pressure - Important?

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Mar 30th, 2011 8:06

Hi Doc ... Wow .... that's a new one. I don't think anyone here (could be wrong) would have a lot of experience with a Cavalier rack/pinion. I'm not sure what other applications use that one for a swap but if you haven't already I'd check there. I know for one that I can't assist on that one.

194950dj
Tire Kicker
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by 194950dj » Wed Mar 30th, 2011 4:08

:?: :supercool: i've read several posts on using cavilier racks on old plymouths and it seemed almost everyone used differant pumps. a gm pump, astocker,and cavalier pump (guaranteed to work).
to me the answer is: if it fits in the car use it.
the possible problem has been excess pressure.the problem of excess pressure causes the steering to be too fast, too touchy. fixable by reducing pressure. how?
some people remove the stock relief and remove a short section of the spring and road test again until driver likes the road feel. sometimes works ok, but many people haven't liked the results, or didn't like the trial and error time and trouble.
the best answer is to add inline an adjustable pressure relief, avail at almost any hydralic supply house. $20-30 bucks. it ties inline on pressure line out of pump and returns some oil flow back into a tee to pump return line back from rack.to adjust : just slowly close valve to raise pressure until steer operates and roadtest. adjust until works good low and high speed steering. they usually have a locking device on relief to lock position.

not really that big of a worry.

enjoy driveing
hopefully soon!

doug

49 suburban rodded
50 4 dr. stocker

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Wed Mar 30th, 2011 5:10

Learn something here all the time .... !!!!