Steering column removal

Turn here for everything Steering related.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

wheelbarrowsgarage
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Steering column removal

Post by wheelbarrowsgarage » Fri Dec 31st, 2010 10:09

Working on a 1949 Plymouth. Want to take out the steering column but can't quite figure it out. Looks like it should come loose at the top of the steering box but so far no luck. Do you have to remove the box and drop the whole thing out the bottom? Holding me up on removing the body from the frame!
THANKS for any help!!

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Re: Steering column removal

Post by p18plywood » Sat Jan 1st, 2011 4:33

Assuming you have already removed the access panel under the driver's feet and diconnected the shift linkage the next step is to undo the large 2-3/8" nut that connects the steering box shaft to the steering linkage. The pittman arm on the stering linkage is splined onto the steering shaft. You can tap it off with soft hammer. Undo the two screws that secure the yoke that holds the coluum to the bottom of the dash. The last fasteners are the three long bolts that secure the steering box to the frame. You can pull the coluum into the cabin and out of the drivers door. I have removed and reinstalled the coluum by myself but it is easier if you have a helper.
Gerry

wheelbarrowsgarage
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Re: Steering column removal

Post by wheelbarrowsgarage » Sat Jan 1st, 2011 7:43

Thank you for the info. Pulled the car off the frame today. Ended up just pulling the box along with the column and leaving it stuffed in the body. Should come out the bottom now with the wheel and shifter removed.