Replacement reflectors needed

Ashtrays, Buttons, Clocks, Knobs, Radios, Wipers, etc.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Replacement reflectors needed

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Feb 6th, 2005 2:56

Has anyone come up with a source for replacement reflectors on the taillight housing on our 49's?
Does anybody have any in decent shape that they want to get rid of??
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

Huds49convert
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Convertible_Club_Coupe

Reflectors of Gold

Post by Huds49convert » Fri Apr 1st, 2005 9:34

John,
I have been watching E-bay for reflectors for quite some time. Recently these came up, but I did not bid on them because they went to $113 bucks!!!!!!!!!! Ebay no 4536183692

My solution was to take some driveway reflectors, mark out the oval, cut them to rough shape with my scroll saw and then sand to shape. I then glued them in place with clear silicone.

Yeah, I may lose some points in a competition, but I figure with a 331 hemi in the engine bay and all the other mods, I just don't care....and it cost me all of 4 bucks.

I also used 3-M reflective stick on tape on the trunk "Plymouth" emblem where there is normally paint. I used a No. 11 blade to carefully cut out the Plymouth letters, and in the daytime it looks like red paint, but at night it glows nicely when reflecting the headlights of the idiot tailgating you.
:wink:
Mike

Johnny_S

Reflectors - A bit pricey

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Apr 2nd, 2005 12:19

Yes Mike, I saw those. In fact, I may have thrown the opening bid of $15.00 or $20.00. Needless to say at $113 for two small reflectors I gave it a pass as well. Seems to me that someone could reproduce those little hummers pretty easily and make a pretty good chunk of change at $35-40 per pair. I dug through my parts piles and found a decent set on some taillight housings that I bought at a swap meet. May shop them around with a small manufacturing firm or two to see if they can make em.

Huds49convert
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Convertible_Club_Coupe

Some expensive parts

Post by Huds49convert » Sat Apr 2nd, 2005 10:13

The reflectors are not the only overpriced hard to find item. Some of the convertible stuff is understandably high, but how about the licence plate light lens. Because of their orientation - facing the sun, and since they are clear, all the original ones are cracked and yellowed. You would think that somebody would have a large stock of replacements and they would come up on e-bay often, but unlike parking lenses, they are rare and usually fetch 60 to 80 bucks. I was thinking of taking my good one (which I was lucky to find at a swap meet years ago) and having it reproduced.

Any one else out there thought of this?

Mike

Johnny_S

Reflectors and License Plate lens

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Apr 2nd, 2005 6:57

Yes, that's exactly right about the license plate lens. I lucked out and had an NOS one with the car when I bought it. It's safely tucked away at the moment....out of the sun. But you are right Mike....it should be easy to reproduce...just will take some startup $$$$ and a business that's committed to doing a good job with it. I did some nosing around to see if I could find someone to repro the taillight lens themselves but so far no luck. Probably haven't found the right people yet.

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

reproducing plastic lens

Post by p18plywood » Mon Apr 4th, 2005 9:04

Tail light lens and other plastic and rubber stuff can be reproduced by taking an NOS or good cond. original and making a silicon rubber mold. You then use the mold to cast colored plastic or rbber repros. I've got all the info on this stuff and was planning to repro woodie tail light lens( also rare as hens teeth), but just haven't gotten to it. Let me expeiment with my own stuff. If it looks good I might be inclined to take on other projects
Gerry

Johnny_S

Reproduction Parts - 49 Plymouths

Post by Johnny_S » Mon Apr 4th, 2005 10:56

Great Gerry....keep us all informed on your progress. You planning on doing this in the garage or via contract with a local vendor?

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

plastic casting

Post by p18plywood » Tue Apr 5th, 2005 4:11

For the moment I'm just planning to make a few hard or impossible to find parts for myself and to help out friends. It will be a low tech, low budget operation.This month is already looking realy busy but I should at least order the materials. It probably won't take long once I get started.
Gerry

Johnny_S

Parts is Parts

Post by Johnny_S » Tue Apr 5th, 2005 4:37

My biggest want is a new set of reflectors on the taillights.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: plastic casting

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Jul 19th, 2008 1:05

p18plywood wrote:For the moment I'm just planning to make a few hard or impossible to find parts for myself and to help out friends. It will be a low tech, low budget operation.This month is already looking realy busy but I should at least order the materials. It probably won't take long once I get started.
Gerry
Any developments with the lenses? I found these guys while looking for steering wheel info:

http://www.danddautomobilia.com/Welcome.html

With your original, we can create a plastic replica using a new urethane casting technology. Nearly indistinguishable from an original, our lenses offer several features that make them ideal for your restoration or customization project:

1. Lenses are heat resistant and guaranteed not to sag or soften due to bulb heat.
2. The material we use is UV stable, so clear lenses will not yellow and red lenses will not turn orange, making our products ideal for replacing glass as well as plastic lenses.
3. By using the latest materials and technologies, we are able to achieve unmatched clarity and appearance.
4. Lenses are available in any custom color requested — ideal for hot rods.

I also found this for wagon owners:

Reproduction 49-50 tail lights and lenses

Fred Colman has molds to make tail light lenses and also make the metal parts for the tail lights.

He can make the stoplight that goes on the spare tire cover as well. Anyone interested in these parts can contact Fred at:
fcoleman@bechtel.com

This looks like a good product for lens making:

http://www.alumilite.com/

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster