Reproduction lens

Ashtrays, Buttons, Clocks, Knobs, Radios, Wipers, etc.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Reproduction lens

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Feb 2nd, 2006 9:44

Has anyone found a source for or checked out anyone who might be able to make reproduction tail-light, license plate, parking lens for our cars?

Johnny_S

Reproduction Lens and etc.....

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Mar 10th, 2006 7:23

Not finding anything in the way of reproduction parts other than trim clips for the 49-50's. I would think that quality front and rear lens for sure would/could be profitable. The front and rear emblems seem good too. Also the license plate light lens.....they bring a small fortune on eBay.

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

repro lense

Post by p18plywood » Sat Mar 18th, 2006 8:21

Some time ago I looked into what it would take to cast plastic parts. I got a video on mold making and catalogs from plastic resin suppliers. Here in a nutshell is the hurdle I'm currently dealing with. When resin and catalyst are mixed air bubbles are introduced. To release the bubbles before the mix cures, the mold must be placed in a vacuum chamber that remove the atomospheric pressure and allow the bubbles to disperse. Vacuum chambers are very expensive. I am going to try to build one with a refrigerator vacuum. I will experiment on casting a woody wagon tail light lense, (rarer than hens teeth). If these are sucessful I will definitely contact this group. The mold making is time consuming and the resin is expensive. You can see now why people aren't lining up to make repro plastic parts. While I'm the subject of repro parts, I've also looked into repro rubber parts. To get a maufactorer tool up for a new part can cost as much as $10,000. I'm still looking for cheaper soloutions and I'm open to all suggestions
Gerry

Johnny_S

Plastic Reproduction Parts and Cost

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Mar 18th, 2006 11:21

Gerry, did you look into the question of licensing requirements for reproducing these old parts? I'm sure Danchuk and others have some form of agreement with GM to do what they do?

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Repro pastic parts

Post by p18plywood » Sun Mar 19th, 2006 3:24

From what I remember dealing with old bikes, OEM producers let the rights go after 10 years and this is where aftermarket manufactors will jump in if there is enough demand for the old car, bike parts. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong. This is why you will see small scale repro parts like floor mats, hood emblems, wiring, mirrors, etc for sale in the bake of the Plymouth Owners Club magazine.
Gerry