where is my door lock?!? =)

Ashtrays, Buttons, Clocks, Knobs, Radios, Wipers, etc.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

smile49
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

where is my door lock?!? =)

Post by smile49 » Tue Nov 2nd, 2010 9:27

Hello all,
I just brought my 49 deluxe 2 door sedan home last week. It is parked in my garage while I do a little re-wireing. Today I was exploring a bit and noticed that the key hole to unlock the doors is located only on the passenger side! whats the deal with that? how is one to unlock the drivers door? is there some sort of trick to this? If anyone can enlighten me that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: where is my door lock?!? =)

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Nov 13th, 2010 8:36

I guess I can't answer your question but I did look at a LOT of photos of other P17 model's and see that most of them don't have a drivers side key either .... the P18's all seem to. That's a new one on me.

smile49
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Post by smile49 » Mon Nov 15th, 2010 6:33

Well I have done some research and have found that in the old days they used to put the key lock only on the passenger side! In 49, Plymouth decided to add a key hole to the drivers side on all models except the p17. I am confused at the thinking on this one. Why would you only have a passenger side key hole in the first place? I have to think that it is so you open the door for the lady or something like that. But then does she have to lean over and open your door? Also what happens when you are going somewhere by yourself?!? Can someone please explain?
Thanks!

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Specialdeluxe » Thu Nov 18th, 2010 12:24

If you watch some old movies, have seen it in some Bogart films, they often enter the car on the passenger side. I suppose they figured it was a safer way to enter the car versus going into the street and opening the drivers door to get in.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster