Repairing damaged wood grain

Painting Questions, Tips and How-to's + Woodgraining.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Repairing damaged wood grain

Post by Johnny_S » Sun Aug 24th, 2003 5:03

Does anyone have any experience repair small spots (scuff marks mostly) on woodgrain dash boards? What about window frames?
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Re: Repairing damaged wood grain

Post by p18plywood » Tue Sep 2nd, 2003 7:53

I am restoring a 49 woodie. I just redid the dash. Here is what I did. Hope it helps.
The original dash was junk and the one in the parts car was good but stilll too much to repair. I picked up another in fair condition on ebay. The damage was confined to freckles on the top side were the sun hits it. I removed every nut and bolt that would come off the dash. I then wet sanded the entire dash with #600 paper. Be careful, you might even try #1000 paper. You just want to clean it and smooth any bumps. Then with a very fine atist brush I applied Minwax walnut 606 gel stain to the chipped areas. This color closely approximates the dark brown graining. You might also use latex acylic artist colors. I gave this a day to dry and then clear coated it with Dupont Duplicolor Clear Enamel. I wet sanded the next day and gave it couple more coats. The results are more than I had hoped for. You would have to study it carefully to see any touch ups. I did the same with the window frame. I reassembled the chrome hardware and set this subassembly aside until the rest of the car is ready for it. It looks damn good and I saved over a $1000 that it would have cost to regrain. If your not trying to build a show perfect car, you can do a lot of the work yourself and save money that can be used for mechanical parts or engine rebuilding.
Gerry

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Sep 4th, 2003 5:34

Thanks Gerry, that does help. It sounds like you did all of this with the dash still in place. I've got a couple of spots where it looks like the paint just flaked off and a few scratches that need to be fixed. In addition, the window garnish is in pretty tough shape from all of the skin oil over the years.
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Fri Sep 5th, 2003 7:48

Hi Johnny:
Actually I did this with the dash out of the car. It's a lot easier and you can do a much better job. If you take everything out start with the radio and grilll. it will give you more access to what's behind the dash. next undo the speedo cluster and carefully ondo the gauges and switches. next is your heater control. Don't forget things like hood release bracket, Overdrive knob, etc. Next remove the front window garnish and ceter strip with rearview mirror. Now you can take out the remaining screws holding in the dash. This might be a good winter project. I don't know how far into a restoration you want to get.
I completely forgot about the garnish moldings on the doors since woodies dont have these. To clean those you could use something like paint thinner to cut the grease but not harm the lacquer paint. Follow that with a mild detergent wash. I've never tried to reproduce graining so I'm not much help there, but there are people who do graining and some will do touch ups for the bare spots.
If this sounds like lot of work, be glad you don't have a whole wooden body to replace. At preent my car is completely disassembled down to the bare body on a bare chassis.
Good luck,
Gerry

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Sep 5th, 2003 8:29

Thanks again Gerry. Good info. Sounds like you have a pretty big project on your hands. Yes, the wood grain on my window garnish may be better than I think if I clean it well. ;D
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Sep 6th, 2003 4:57

I just found an article in the current (October 2003) copy of Rod and Custom that talks about Wood grain painting. It's entitled "Wood Not...Painting Woodgrain Like They Used To" by Tim Bernsau. It's helpful.

:o
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Sat Sep 6th, 2003 7:33

This something I am interested in even though I have need for it right now. I would like to learn how the original graining was done and add that to my skills. I'll pick up acopy of the magazine.
Gerry

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Fri Sep 19th, 2003 11:23

To Johnny S
I haven't been able to find that issue of Rod and Custom for the article on woodgraining. The next months issue was already out on the stands. Do you think you could xerox the artilcle for me? I'll be glad to reimburse you any costs. My address is,
Gerald Vinci
453 Cottage Street
New Bedford, MA. 02740
Thanks,
Gerry

chance1
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by chance1 » Wed Oct 15th, 2003 7:10

I would like to have a copy of that article too

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Oct 17th, 2003 8:00

I'll try and get the article to you this weekend.

John
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

p18plywood
Deluxe Member

Post by p18plywood » Sat Oct 18th, 2003 6:04

I look forward to reading the article.
Thanks,
Gerry

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat Oct 25th, 2003 4:48

I hope you could read the version I sent. If not, let me know. For others reading this, here were some references in the article.

Grain-it Technologies Inc.
www.woodgraining.com

Old Tyme Woodgraining
www.oldtymewoodgraining.com

Pure Vision
www.purevisiondesign.com

Willoughby Paint Designs
13525 Youngstown Pittsburgh Rd, Dept. R&C
New Middletown, OH 14442
330-542-1320
John F. Smeltzer
Fort Collins, CO

Mrs.49er
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by Mrs.49er » Sat Aug 20th, 2005 7:00

:D

To John S.

Hi , I have been reading with Interest your discussion on woodgraining.
We just bought a 49 plym special deluxe. and the wood graining could
certainly stand some work. I would love to do the work myself, and
would love it if you could fax me the main part of your article on wood
graining. Let me know if that is possible and I will set up a fax # on my computer .....havent done that yet , but it costs $1.50 for one fax page at
kinkos and I think most computers have fax capabilities....thanks
I will await your reply..............Mrs...49er.
She's a BEAUT and she can SCOOT.
Our 49er...There's none Finer! :-)

Johnny_S

Woodgraining Article

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Feb 2nd, 2006 9:50

Mrs. 49er......for some reason I didn't find this post until today........about 5 months after it was posted. Oops...sorry. Did you ever find the article otherwise?