Restoring Dash

Painting Questions, Tips and How-to's + Woodgraining.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

canoehenge
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Restoring Dash

Post by canoehenge » Fri Jul 28th, 2006 8:32

Can anyone tell me how best to restore the faux wood grain finish on the metal dash?
A bad day on the river is better than a good day anywhere else.
Canoehenge

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

dash graining

Post by p18plywood » Sat Jul 29th, 2006 10:15

Hi again:
You have at least three choices for grained dashes. First you could look for a better one from a parts car, but honestly I don't see these come along very often. Secondly you can have it professionally regrained. It will look good but cost big money. My favorite, if your dash isn't too far gone, is to touch it up and clear coat. First remove the dash and strip everything off of it. Very carfully wet sand the entire surface with #600 or finer paper to get it clean and smooth but don't cut through the color. Now get a can of mahogany latex stain or some acrylic paints and with a tiny brush touch up the little pits in the painted surface. This works well if you have lots of tiny blister in the finish, not large bare areas. Let it dry a day and clear coat with 3M acrylic emanel. I did this on mine and it looks cherry.
One other possibilty, check out www.plymouthwoodys.com. Ed McEwen regrained a dash and it looks pretty good. He explains how he did it.
Gerry

canoehenge
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by canoehenge » Tue Aug 1st, 2006 8:29

Thanks for the info. It was most helpful. I will most probably try this technique during my restoration. I am fortunate in having a P18 with a solid body.
A bad day on the river is better than a good day anywhere else.
Canoehenge