Modern Rims

Unboxing the Shoebox

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

gleonard
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Modern Rims

Post by gleonard » Wed Jan 23rd, 2008 4:31

Does anyone know the best way to add modern wheels and tires to a 1949 P18? My car is new to me so I removed one of the rims today and found that the hub has a "locator pin" (Dont know if thats the correct term) which I guess helps to put the rim/tire back on. Would it be okay to grind that off since it would prevent the installation of modern rims/tires. Also, there seem to be rivet heads which would prevent a modern rim/tire from seating properly on the hub.

Just as an aside, I removed the tire from the drivers side or left side. I was expecting to have to turn the lugs clockwise to take them off- I even checked the manual beforehand since I am somewhat familiar with this "unique" Chrysler feature. But mine were not like that! I had to turn them counter clockwise in the conventional manner to take them off. Am I missing something here? Just when I thought I knew something it turns out that I dont know nothin'.

George Leonard

bill55az
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by bill55az » Sat Feb 9th, 2008 8:54

The 15" wheels on my 80 LeBaron have 10 holes, 5 for the lugs, and 5 smaller ones that should fit the pin, and they will probably fit. You MAY have to drill out the small holes a bit. The pin is there to locate the wheel since these cars use lug bolts instead of lug nuts. If you don't mind not having a pure and unadulterated car, you could remove the pins, but mounting the tires becomes a bit more difficult if you get a flat.
Your reverse thread issue was probably done by someone replacing some parts in the past....

gleonard
Hey! I'm new here.

Modern Rims

Post by gleonard » Sat Feb 9th, 2008 9:27

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Is the 1980 LeBaron a front wheel drive car? If so, does that have any effect on the backspacing?

Since my last posting, I did find 2 rims with a bolt pattern just as you describe and I couldnt imagine where they might have come from- probably something I picked up at a swap meet just for the tires. I was wondering about drilling them out and have decided just to drill out the one that I need to fit around the pin. Well, anyway that takes care of two of my four tires thanks to your input. Cutting off the pin is the easy solution, but once you do it there is no turning back. I think I will look for another pair of 1980 LeBaron rims and try to preserve as much originality as possible. Thanks for your suggestion.

George Leonard

bill55az
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by bill55az » Sat Feb 9th, 2008 10:03

No not front wheel drive, that started in 1982. Backspacing should be fine, the acid test is always the front, as the rear usually has more room for wider rims. The 79 -81 Chrylser Lebarons, 77 to 89 Dodge diplomats, and 80? to 89 Chrysler 5th avenues, and plymouth gran fury cars thru 89 are the M bodies, almost identical to F body cars, volare and aspen, but F body wheels are 14" usually in case you want to lower your ride a bit. The earlier M body cars will likely have 6" wide wheels, the later ones usually are 7". For a really tough look, the diplomat and gran fury cop car wheels are very nice. They are 15x7 and are heavy duty, with oval holes around the mid part...look them up on ebay, Mopar cop car wheels...

radracer
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Re: Modern Rims

Post by radracer » Sat Sep 15th, 2012 2:49

Wow thats good to know about the lugs turning clock wise on the driverside wheels, ill have to pay attention when i remove my wheels... I would of been choked finding out this the hard way hahhahahah

8)
1949 Plymouth 4dr sedan,
lake pipes,
be kind to her, she old....

Johnny_S

Re: Modern Rims

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Sep 20th, 2012 9:03

We've all done it more than once.