fuel pump

Carbs, Pumps - It's all a Gas!

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

merschoff
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

fuel pump

Post by merschoff » Sun May 23rd, 2010 9:33

Hey I just picked up a 49 plymouth 2 weeks ago and am trying to get it going. I am looking for fuel pump for my car or a rebuild kit for the pump. The only one I can find on line is a carter fuel pump without the vacuum booster. I would like to get the one with the vacuum booster pump. also the fuel pump off my car is a AC pump could I just use a carter fuel pump? If anyone knows of a place where I could get would it would be a big help.

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: fuel pump

Post by Johnny_S » Mon May 24th, 2010 12:01

The vacuum assisted fuel pump is an AC 9418 .... there may be one or two on eBay right now. I know one just went unsold a day or so ago. You can probably find a suitable pump at either NAPA or Autozone or O'Reilly's. The standard fuel pump is an AC 588.

If you get an AC 9418 you will probably have to have it rebuilt with diaphrams that are compatible with gasohol fuels. If you buy a new 588 at NAPA or ??? they will be just fine. You just won't have the extra vacuum boost.

I don't know if a Carter fuel pump will even work?

John

merschoff
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by merschoff » Thu May 27th, 2010 9:03

Hey i'm still having trouble finding the fuel pump. I called NAPA with the part numberand they said they didnt have it. I dont have an autozone or O'Reilly's by me. Do you know of a place on line that I could find it? I would like to rebuild the one I have if i could find the kit.

dsweidman
Deluxe Member

Post by dsweidman » Sat May 29th, 2010 5:39

This place has just about anything related to old fuel pumps. I have purchased several items from them.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_ ... motive.htm

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Sat May 29th, 2010 4:49

Root Beer Stand
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by Root Beer Stand » Sat Sep 26th, 2015 5:08

An electric pump should be available. 6 or 12 volt depending on your cars voltage.
If you get a negative ground pump the case will have to be isolated from the frame.
May make temporary fix.
I bought 3, 12 V Neg Ground low pressure pumps off Ebay a while back for $6 each,

RBS
"Lucille" the Grandkids, the Mrs, and me!!