Terminal Block Located in Trunk

What to do with all those wires.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Terminal Block Located in Trunk

Post by Franklyn » Sat Apr 30th, 2011 6:29

A question regarding the four post terminal Block (Junction Block) located in the trunk.
I'm working on the un-educated assumption that the terminal block is stock. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Seems it's just a junction for lights, etc that share the same power source. (ie, the 2 tail lights and the license plate light share a terminal, as all three function in the same way. ON when headlight switch is turned one notch OR two notches)

In preparing for rewiring, I need to know if this terminal block is grounded, where all four post share a ground via the block, or if it is just a floating block with four completely independent posts.

Any insight is greatly appreciated :)

dsweidman
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Terminal Block Located in Trunk

Post by dsweidman » Sun May 1st, 2011 5:23

You are correct in your assumptions. The terminal block is a stock piece. It is grounded because it is attached to the body of the car. It connects the tail lites, brake switch & signal lites. And yes, it is powered when the headlite switch is on. However, the brake light switch is powered anytime the pedal is depressed, independant of the headlite switch. Hope this helps.

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Sun May 1st, 2011 11:30

Thanks dsweidman for the clarification.

I found a new terminal block, but now that you're saying it needs to be grounded, I'm not sure it will work.

Here is a pic of one similar to one I found for like $4. Seems though it may not work, as this unit isn't designed to have all posts grounded together. (it's just a floating junction block made of hardened plastic) Is there any way to make this one work?

dsweidman
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by dsweidman » Sun May 1st, 2011 5:54

I couldn't view the picture, however I think I know what kind of terminal block you are speaking of. It still may work. After studying the schematic, I was incorrect about the ground thing. (It's been awhile) The light bulb sockets are grounded (+positive side), making the circuit between the terminal block (-negative, or power side). The terminal block is connected to the light switch and the 30 amp fuse within the dash.

I hope I didn't confuse things too much. I've attached a schematic for referance
Attachments
schematic.pdf
p-18 schematic
(51.46 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Franklyn
Flathead Fixer

Post by Franklyn » Mon May 2nd, 2011 8:04

Thankyou Scott!

This schematic will have me on my way very quickly:)

excited to have turn signals and fresh (non-fraying) wires soon!