L6 218 Overheating

From Antifreeze to Radiator Cap.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

RiversideSteve
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

L6 218 Overheating

Post by RiversideSteve » Thu Aug 17th, 2006 5:57

Ok I have a new issue with my engine. I am pretty much going through the engine because of overheating. I recored the Radiator and flushed the system. Now heres the bad. While the rad was being recored, I stuck a garden hose in the system with cold water running and it is still overheating badly. I have not cleaned out everything but where should I start to fix the overheating issue first? Meaning should I take the fan off and the water pump assembly. What areas are prone to rust in the coolant system? I ask this because as soon as I took off the radiator when I first started, rusty coolant came out along with small metal ring particles from the original radiator rubber lines. I know if everything is clean it will not overheat unless there is a bigger prob at hand. The vehicle sat for an unknown time thats why this is happening. :?
Stevo

RiversideSteve
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by RiversideSteve » Mon Aug 28th, 2006 3:58

Took out the water dist tube. What a crappy engineering feat on Plymouths part. Why is this so different than chvy, ford etc.?
Stevo

Excoachbauer
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Club_Coupe

Post by Excoachbauer » Wed Aug 30th, 2006 11:09

Steve,

Did you knock out the freeze plugs on the driver's side of the engine? I just bought a 50 4door and when I got it home (drove it 55 miles) I noticed that the bottom rear plug was starting to leak from rust through. So, I knocked all of them out and found that the block had plugged up between the top row and bottom row of freeze plugs. I had the water hose running into the top row and I could get water out of all 3 top holes but the bottom 2 didn't flow a bit. I poked around in the block through the holes and broke through the blockage and now I get good flow through all of them. That could be a source of your problem. As to the distribution tube, Pontiac and Oldsmobile had them as well. I suppose it was alot easier to add the "band-aid" of the tube than make entirely new castings.

Also, have you checked your timing? Retarded timing can cause overheating as well.
My Fleet: 49 Ply 2Dr Spec Del, 64 Crew Cab W200, 65 Dodge 880 Custom, 70 D200, 71 Ply Duster, 82 New Yorker, 85 D100, 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wife's),non-mopar:70 Triumph Bonneville; 03 Speedmaster

RiversideSteve
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by RiversideSteve » Wed Sep 27th, 2006 1:35

I knocked out the plugs and found the same thing happened with my block. I got new ones in and need to install them. Just like you I found nasty sludge that looked like chili back there and so I flushed that junk out. I cant believe there was that much rust, old dried coolant, and metal chunk in there. I still hate that dist tube!
Stevo