From Antifreeze to Radiator Cap.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

butchrecord
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_3pass_Business_Coupe

Vapor lock

Post by butchrecord » Mon Jun 26th, 2006 8:18

hi
guy's, this is my first post,I just recieved a 49 bus. coupe that has been in the family for 35 years. whenever the weather gets hot the engine vapor locks and dies.I have made a heat shield that goes between the manifold and the fuel pump and wrapped the fuel line with some heat shield tape. Still no improvment. Does anyone have a fix for vaporlock? I am thinking about installing a 6 volt electric fuel pump buy the tank. I would realy like to keep it stock but want to be able to enjoy my car. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,Butch

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Vapor Lock

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Aug 17th, 2006 6:37

Butch...you have tried to fix the usual culprits it sounds like. You might want to check the carb as well. Does it need a rebuild? The 6 volt electric fuel pumps seem to be quite a cure. You might try to find one of the old service bulletins that Mopar put out in the late 40's and early 50's that discusses the vapor lock issue. Check out the Chrysler Imperial website. They have a few of them on line.

roughn3ck
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

Re: Vapor lock

Post by roughn3ck » Mon Mar 30th, 2009 7:30

i had the same problem not to long ago and i had put ethinal gas in my car ethinal starts boiling at around 90 degrees so dont use it