From Antifreeze to Radiator Cap.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

apackard
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Running Hot

Post by apackard » Mon Jun 6th, 2016 2:13

Hi, First time posting.
Just got my 49 back on the road after sitting for 12 years. I had a mechanic go through it, clean things out, they replaced the water pump, and flushed the radiator. Its still running hot, it will get up to the 212 mark after 15-20 mins of surface street driving. He noticed the same thing and removed the thermostat which I just read in the service Manuel is something you shouldn't do.
He told me to check water pump by pulling off the top hose, gunning the motor and see what comes out. Having never worked on cars I have no reference point to tell how much water should be moving through the hose. It didn't seem like a lot, I was expecting something like a fire hose in terms of water volume but it was more like a garden hose.
Any input would be helpful, especially if any one lives around the Tacoma,Seattle area.
I have a few other issues and will post them accordingly.
Thanks
Aarin

dsweidman
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: Running Hot

Post by dsweidman » Mon Jun 27th, 2016 1:41

Refer to the manual on engine cooling. The easiest thing to check first is your temperature gauge. If it's OK, then you can check the following.

I believe your water distribution tube is dirty, as well as the water channels in the engine block. To access the water distribution tube, you need to remove the radiator and water pump. The tube slides into the top of the engine block just behind the water pump and it's purpose is to distribute the cooling water between the cylinders. It can be pulled straight out and is about 18" long. That's why you need to remove the radiator.
I'm sure it's stuck pretty good if the car sat for 12 years. It may even be corroded beyond usefulness. They can be purchased from several suppliers. I would also check the radiator again, unless you are confident your mechanic got it completely clean. Sediment can build up in the bottom and are very hard to clean out unless you remove it. There is a radiator flow test described in the manual that you can perform on the car with the hoses removed.

Also, the heater core, if you have one, can be plugged.

Once everything is back together, you can flush the block with water by connecting a water hose to the heater hose connection on top of the thermostat housing. The rear heater hose connection on top of the head will discharge the water once you turn on the hose. Again, since the car sat so long, the water channels maybe very plugged.

Hope all this helps.