Front Clip Removal

Body and Sheetmetal Restoration Discussion.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

plym49
Flathead Fixer
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Front Clip Removal

Post by plym49 » Wed Oct 8th, 2008 6:09

Can the front clip be removed without totally removing the rocker trim?

As I recall, the bolt that holds the lower corner of the front fenders to the body are accessed by a hole in the fender that is covered by the trim. Can this bolt be reached from behind so that I only have to loosen the front of the rocker trim?

Also, does the bumper and bumper bracket have to come off, or can the front clip - including the front gravel pan - be lifted up and over with the bumper in place?

My car has show quality paint and so obviously I don't want to scratch or chip anything.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Re: Front Clip Removal

Post by Specialdeluxe » Wed Oct 8th, 2008 10:29

plym49 wrote:Can the front clip be removed without totally removing the rocker trim?

As I recall, the bolt that holds the lower corner of the front fenders to the body are accessed by a hole in the fender that is covered by the trim. Can this bolt be reached from behind so that I only have to loosen the front of the rocker trim?

Also, does the bumper and bumper bracket have to come off, or can the front clip - including the front gravel pan - be lifted up and over with the bumper in place?

My car has show quality paint and so obviously I don't want to scratch or chip anything.
The rocker trim will have a few clips that can be popped out of the sheetmetal and then removed from the trim. Wrap the rocker trim. I can't think of a reason that the rocker trim would need to be completely removed if you didn't want to. The bumpers and bracket can stay but it's only 4 bolts to remove. May want to do it, then you can bring the clip forward and off. Much easier I'd think.

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

front clip removal

Post by p18plywood » Thu Oct 9th, 2008 9:09

As for that fastener in the recess behind the rocker molding, it is not accessable from the back. I believe that mounting point is fastened with a stud and nut and it is almost always rusty. Keep that WD40 handy.
Gerry

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Fri Oct 10th, 2008 5:45

Thanks, that's what I kind of remembered from the last time I pulled one of these clips. many moon ago. Oh well.

I was thinking of pulling the clip only to make changing the water distribution tube and detailing the engine easier.

However, since I am dealing with show paint and perfect trim, I am loathe to pop the rocker molding, removing kick panels, risk chipping something, etc.

I *think* I can get the dist tube out if I pull the rad. Still a PITA but less risky.

Thoughts?

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Fri Oct 10th, 2008 10:29

plym49 wrote:Thanks, that's what I kind of remembered from the last time I pulled one of these clips. many moon ago. Oh well.

I was thinking of pulling the clip only to make changing the water distribution tube and detailing the engine easier.

However, since I am dealing with show paint and perfect trim, I am loathe to pop the rocker molding, removing kick panels, risk chipping something, etc.

I *think* I can get the dist tube out if I pull the rad. Still a PITA but less risky.

Thoughts?
I vote for pulling the radiator. Probably need to pull the horns and shroud too. Yep, PITA but less risky. Maybe even less work too. :twocents:

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sat Oct 11th, 2008 6:43

I'm inclined to agree. Maybe even pull the heater core so I have more room to work cleaning the engine and changing manifolds. Pulling the clip on a completed car just does not feel right.

plym49
Flathead Fixer

Post by plym49 » Sat Oct 11th, 2008 12:32

OK, I opted to leave the front clip in place. I removed the shroud, horns, radiator and inner fender panel on the passenger's side. It is amazing; I have not taken these particular pieces apart in many, many years yet it all seemed so familiar. :)

One trick I had up my sleeve this time around was the use of very long extensions. I have some 2, 3 and 4 feet long. The two footer made the lower radiator bolts easy as pie (with a deep flexsocket). The four footer made the various bolts on the passenger side easy, since I could get at them from outside the car, thru the wheel well.

I got my manifolds off and the biggest problem was the last stud at number 6. It was the only one to break. Back there is where the exhaust manifold cracked, too. Everything looked funky back there. I should be able to get the broken stud out OK, although of course it is the toughest one to get at.

With so much removed, you get to see how big this engine compartment really is. When I was 16, I dropped in a 283 Chevy. I am getting the urge.......why should I keep this primitive hunk of cast iron?

I gotta hand ot to the mechanics of yore who would work on these cars. Adjusting the valves, for example. Even with the inner access panel removed, the valve covers are hidden behind suspension, frame and manifolds. Not much room in there to even see the valves. You got to give them credit for being able to do it.

Removing that manifold was a pregnant dog, too, even though I have all of the right tools. I remember changing the manifolds on my 49 Dodge when I was in my teens. Somehow, I did it all from the top, with little more than a 9/16 socket and a 9/16 box end wrench (I still have that wrench, in fact I used it today - it has just the right shape on the box end to grab onto the manifold bolts). The 49 Dodge is a little bit wider than the 49 Plymouth, so I guess I had a bit more room. Nevertheless, I don't see how I got those manifolds off from the top. I just rememebr I did.

Anyway, lunch break now; later will retiurn and start cleaning the greasy motor block.