Rocker & Floor panels

Body and Sheetmetal Restoration Discussion.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

Specialdeluxe
Administrator
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Rocker & Floor panels

Post by Specialdeluxe » Fri Jun 27th, 2008 1:43

There is a guy on Ebay selling rocker panels and floor panels.

User ID: classicparts4u

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/classicparts4u

Good going in your Plymouth! :driving:

Paul Schettner
'49plymouth.com - Webmaster

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

sheet metal resto

Post by p18plywood » Sat Jun 28th, 2008 3:32

Hi Paul:
I don't know how much floor and rocker replacement you have to do, but the best soloution I found was to get a parts car with most of the sheet metal parts that I didn't have on my car. If you don't have too much to replace, the parts from RCarr will probably do fine.They don't really cover large areas of the floor. This is why I liked the parts car. I could cut whole sections, like the bottom of the door pillars, trim them to fit and tack weld them in place.It's not as intimidating as it seems at first and is actually a lot of fun.
Gerry

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Re: sheet metal resto

Post by Specialdeluxe » Sat Jun 28th, 2008 3:41

p18plywood wrote:Hi Paul:
I don't know how much floor and rocker replacement you have to do, but the best soloution I found was to get a parts car with most of the sheet metal parts that I didn't have on my car. If you don't have too much to replace, the parts from RCarr will probably do fine.They don't really cover large areas of the floor. This is why I liked the parts car. I could cut whole sections, like the bottom of the door pillars, trim them to fit and tack weld them in place.It's not as intimidating as it seems at first and is actually a lot of fun.
Gerry
I purchased replacement rocker panels. I thought I'd get rid of the chickenwire and bondo that was there. The floor has smallish holes where the seats mounted, which is pretty common from what I hear. I need a new trunk lid though.

Paul Schettner

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Post by p18plywood » Sun Jun 29th, 2008 4:00

Paul:
There is a guy on ebay parting out a couple of 49s. I don't remember if they offered the trunk lid of the 4 door yet. He has been parting them out piece meal for a couple of weeks. You could contact him and see if he still has the lid. There usually isn't too much demand for an item like that.
As for the floor and seat mounting. There is floor brace that is spot welded under that area of the floor. The problem is that everywhere two pieces of sheet metal meet is an area for dirt and water to collect. The factory did not do that good of a job sealing these seams. The parts car I got had been undercoated from the begining and these seams were pretty well sealed. Still I had to do some very extensive weld patching around the area of the seat mounts. The other area where I did a lot of patch and graft was at the base of the B-post. Woodies are different from the sedans. At the base of the wooden B-post is a casting that is bolted through the floor. This area was pretty full of holes, so I had to hammer out a couple of new pieces to weld in. After everything is repaired, fill every seam with seam compound paint the under side of the car and then undercoat. It will be worth the effort not to have to do this again.
Gerry

jiol
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Convertible_Club_Coupe

Post by jiol » Fri Jul 4th, 2008 3:16

Why not look for and old Pullmax.
There pretty cheap and very easy to use. If you just take some time to make special tools for it it wil help you fabricate any floorpanes you like ( and just as small or big as you like)

I do not have one myself yet, but ive used a friend of mine´s for all the sheetmetal work on my convertible.

And i would never by any floorpanels on ebay when i can make it my self twice as good for ten times less. /Jimmy

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Post by Johnny_S » Tue Jul 8th, 2008 5:58

Paul, I have a trunk lid on my parts car in Iowa. How much of a hurry are you to get one? It will need a little work as there is the fairly typical rust at the bottom. And, I won't be heading back that way until Sept most likely.

Specialdeluxe
Administrator

Post by Specialdeluxe » Tue Jul 8th, 2008 6:18

Johnny_S wrote:Paul, I have a trunk lid on my parts car in Iowa. How much of a hurry are you to get one? It will need a little work as there is the fairly typical rust at the bottom. And, I won't be heading back that way until Sept most likely.
That would probably be good timing actually. I'm going to be taking another look at the trunk lid I have soon and see if it is worth doing body work on.

Paul Schettner