Rechroming

Body and Sheetmetal Restoration Discussion.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

canoehenge
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Rechroming

Post by canoehenge » Fri Jul 28th, 2006 8:04

Can anyone give me tips on rechroming of pitted hood ornaments? Mostly need to know how to smooth the pitted ornaments prior to chroming.
A bad day on the river is better than a good day anywhere else.
Canoehenge

p18plywood
Deluxe Member
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_Station_Wagon

Chroming pot metal

Post by p18plywood » Sat Jul 29th, 2006 9:52

Hi:
I don't know how bad thwe pitting on your hood ornament is, but it may be better to keep an eye on ebay for something in good shape, rather than rechrome. To rechrome they will strip the chrome, then try to file and sand out pits. If this doesen't get all of them, they will have to build up the entire piece by copper plating and sand it down until the pits are filled in.As you might guess this is time consuming and expensive. Best to reserve this path for the impossible to replace parts, only. Fortunately you can still find most Plymouth parts in good or even NOS shape. I found that it was worth the money to buy an entire parts car for my restoration project. For instance all of the dash chrome was in excellent shape with absoloutely no pits. I got an awful lot of parts from that car. I've seen quite a few hood ornaments on ebay lately.
Gerry

canoehenge
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Special_Deluxe_4dr_Sedan

Post by canoehenge » Tue Aug 1st, 2006 8:33

Thanks again for the info. You are quite right, in retrospect, it would make more sense to buy a hood ornament that is in good condition. I do have some chrome pieces that I will have refinished. I have a good friend that is plant manager at a plating plant. He will certainly take care of any items I need rechromed.
A bad day on the river is better than a good day anywhere else.
Canoehenge