FLOOR PAN

Body and Sheetmetal Restoration Discussion.

Moderators: Specialdeluxe, Johnny_S

buddy saddle
Hey! I'm new here.
Plymouth: Deluxe_2dr_Sedan

FLOOR PAN

Post by buddy saddle » Thu Jul 4th, 2013 2:28

I GOT FLOOR PANS FROM E BAY,WHILE REMOVING THE OLD ONES I DESCOVERED THAT UNDER DOOR IS BAD,I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS CALLED,IS IT A ROCKER?EBAY HAS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE ROCKER PANELS 40 INCH LONG,OR DO I COVER IT WITH METAL?SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I AM LOST HA! HA!BUD IT IS HARD WORK BUT I AM HAVING LOTS OF FUN THANKS...
Attachments
DSCN1411.JPG
49 PLY
DSCN1411.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
DSCN1411.JPG
DSCN1411.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1938 times

Johnny_S
Plymouth: No_Plymouth

Re: FLOOR PAN

Post by Johnny_S » Thu Jul 4th, 2013 6:56

The rocker panels are the portion where the lower stainless attaches .... there is an outer (larger portion) and an inner (essentially flat) portion that "backs" it up and closes the rocker in except for some small drain holes. Replacement depends on how badly the piece is rusted out and what type of a job you want to complete before you add the paint.

You can replace it with patches .... just cutting out and replacing the portions that are rusted. Or you can replace the entire length .... or something in between.

Rockers are also occasionally available on eBay .... make sure you get the ones for the Club Coupe .... !!

John

buddy saddle
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by buddy saddle » Fri Jul 5th, 2013 2:17

thank you so much i am new at this Buddy

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Jul 5th, 2013 3:33

Not a problem .... that's what these forum are for .... hope we can help. Want you to enjoy your car !!

John

Johnny_S

Post by Johnny_S » Fri Jul 5th, 2013 3:46

If you look at your photos .... the rocker itself runs from the front of the door (both sides of course) back to just in front of the rear fender well opening. It does not extend beyond the fenders ..... so not the entire length of the stainless steel lower trim. Don't want you to think that the entire area is defined by the stainless trim. I just wanted to use it as a reference point. The "Rocker" is the boxed in area underneath and runs along MOST of that area. You'll see holes cut in the sides of the outer rocker under the stainless trim that hold the retainer clips. These clips keep the stainless trim on. The inside is essentially a flat piece of steel that closes the back side up. It's often rusted out as well.

In replacing the rockers completely you have to be careful not to just cut them out and assume that the new ones will fit in properly. They have a structural function that in part holds the body in alignment .... SO .... you need to make sure you accomodate that prior to cutting the old remaining portions out. How much you need to be concerned depends largely on how much of the rocker you are cutting out. If its only a small 6 inch section that needs a patch ... you probably don't need to worry about providing any additional structural support. However, if you are replacing the entire 70" plus or minus on your Club Coupe ... you will need to make sure the doors stay in alignment by keep some type of support there. Some folks tack weld another support between the front of the door and the rear of the door .... BEFORE you cut out the rocker. Then once the new rocker is welded in properly you can take the temporary support out. You can't have the rest of the car body twisting and reshaping itself while you are cutting pieces off.

So ... if you aren't up to the job .... I'd recommend getting someone handy with the right tools to assist. You can do a Google search for "Replacing Rocker Panels" ... or something like that to find out how others tackle the job.

John

buddy saddle
Hey! I'm new here.

Post by buddy saddle » Tue Jul 9th, 2013 5:52

thanks buddy saddle